Robert M. Bauer
Mr. Bauer is a registered patent attorney with more than 20 years of experience in various intellectual property and technology-related matters. His practice is concentrated on patent litigation, licensing disputes, U.S. Patent and Trademark Office procedures, the use of patents to secure financing, and other information technology matters. Mr. Bauer is the chair of the Intellectual Property & Technology Group and is a contributor to several professional organizations and publications.
- Successfully challenged the denial of an inventor's Petition by the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office in Federal Court under the Administrative Procedure Act
- Managed compliance with open source software licensing issues for an in vehicle mapping and information display device.
- Performed due diligence for a portfolio of patents and prepared an asset purchase agreement for the portfolio on the secondary market.
- Successfully negotiated and resolved a resolution of joint ownership claims for a patent pending technology developed by a client together with one of its customers.
Awards & Honors
- Included in The Best Lawyers in America®, Woodward/White, Inc. (Information Technology Law), 2011-2014
Speaking Engagements & Publications
- Firm's Professional Advisor Symposium, October 2013
- “Financial Services Related Business Method Patents”, American Bar Association Annual Meeting, 2011, Presenter
- “The SciTech Lawyer”, Founding Editor
- eTech Update, Author
- Uniform Commercial Code Article 9 Revision, Advisor to the Drafting Committee
- Standards Development Patent Policy Manual, American Bar Association, 2007, Contributor
Community & Professional Service
- Technology Council of Northwest PA, Board Member
- Intellectual Property & Technology Group, Chair
- Technology Committee