Leigh Ann Orton
Attorney Orton concentrates her practice on elder law, estate planning & administration, family law and real estate.
Following her graduation from law school, Ms. Orton practiced at a small firm in Memphis, Tennessee. Subsequently, she operated her own general practice firm, served as an adjunct professor at Gannon University, and worked as a real estate broker and settlement agent in the local market.
Ms. Orton practices out of the firm’s North East office.
- Successfully litigated and received a favorable ruling in a complex custody trial involving choice of school district
- Successfully negotiated a complex custody relocation case
- Collaboratively trained in family law matters
- Attended the 2013 Association of Family and Conciliation Courts (AFCC) and American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers (AAML) Conference on Advanced Issues in Custody Litigation: Evaluation, Litigation and Settlement
- Editor of "Medicare Advantage...or Disadvantage," by Emily E. Town, 4th place winner of 2010 NAELA Student Writing Competition
Awards & Honors
- Selected as Readers' Choice “Best Attorney” of 2012, North East News-Journal
Speaking Engagements & Publications
- Firm's Long Term Care Seminar, 2011
- Firm's Municipal Law Symposium
- "Handling Claims and Debt," National Business Institute
- Author of monthly Legal Lines column, including the following articles, North East News-Journal
- “Risky Long-Term Care (Medicaid) Planning - Payment Responsibility Extends Beyond Senior”
- “Risky Long-Term Care (Medicaid) Planning - Family Advice May Compromise Senior’s Security”
- “Risky Long-Term Care (Medicaid) Planning - Jeopardizing Medicaid Eligibility”
- “The Power of Attorney - Protect Your Assets and Your Peace of Mind”
- “The Power of Attorney - Options and Considerations”
- "Five Common Errors To Avoid When Naming Life Insurance Beneficiaries"
Community & Professional Service
- Community Nursing Services of North East, Board Member
- Junior League of Erie, Current Member and Former Board Member
- North East Business Women's Roundtable, Steering Committee
- Girl Scout Troop #36009, Assistant Troop Leader
- National Association of Realtors, Former Member
- Pennsylvania Association of Realtors, Former Member
- Greater Erie Board of Realtors, Former Member