Mr. Kuhar serves the employment-related needs of private and public employers throughout the region. He practices labor & employment law and litigation exclusively, helping employers through the most difficult employee-related challenges. Mr. Kuhar routinely assists employers in establishing and maintaining employment policies, conducting workplace investigations, negotiating employment contracts and severance agreements, conducting engagement surveys, and training supervisors and other employees. He also negotiates with unions on behalf of employers.
His practice has an emphasis on the litigation of employment claims. He routinely practices before the Pennsylvania Human Relations Commission, the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, numerous state and federal courts, and in matters before the National Labor Relations Board, as well as in the processing and resolution of grievances and arbitration proceedings.
Mr. Kuhar also has a growing private mediation practice. To date, he has served as mediator in cases involving employment discrimination, pension claims, civil rights claims, and claims for disability benefits. He has also mediated many cases as a volunteer mediator for the EEOC.
- Investigated and resolved numerous reports of workforce harassment
- Managed employer responses to union organizing activities at several manufacturers
- Minimized organizational risk during numerous employee separations
- Successfully defended an employer in a federal trial over a claim of race and ethnicity-based discrimination in hiring decisions
- Conducted multiple successful union contract negotiations
- Worked closely with an employer through its employees' decertification of its long-time union
- Performed comprehensive reviews of employment policies for several entities
Honors & Ratings
- Firm's Workplace Law Forum, 2013, 2015, 2017 and 2018
- Several speaking engagements for local HR groups, businesses and others
- Human Resources Section of the PA/NJ Rural Electric Cooperatives, biannual meeting, Labor & Employment Law Update (most recently in January 2018)
- Small Business Development Center HR Forum, 2016
- Local Development Districts of Pennsylvania
- Firm's Municipal Law Symposium
- Supervisor training
- Sexual harassment training
Community & Professional Service
- Erie Zoological Society, Volunteer Solicitor
- United Way of Erie County, Volunteer Solicitor
- Erie Catholic Preparatory School and Villa Maria Academy, Board Member and Volunteer Solicitor
- U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, Volunteer Mediator