Mr. Kuhar serves the employment-related needs of private and public employers throughout the region. He practices labor & employment law and litigation exclusively, helping employers through the most difficult employee-related challenges. Mr. Kuhar routinely assists employers in establishing and maintaining employment policies, conducting workplace investigations, negotiating employment contracts and severance agreements, conducting engagement surveys, and training supervisors and other employees. He also negotiates with unions on behalf of employers.
His practice has an emphasis on the litigation of employment claims. He routinely practices before the Pennsylvania Human Relations Commission, the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, numerous state and federal courts, and in matters before the National Labor Relations Board, as well as in the processing and resolution of grievances and arbitration proceedings.
Mr. Kuhar also has a growing private mediation practice. To date, he has served as mediator in cases involving employment discrimination, pension claims, civil rights claims, and claims for disability benefits. He has also mediated many cases for the EEOC and regarding claims against Federal entities.
- Investigated and resolved reports of workforce harassment
- Managed employer responses to union organizing activities at several manufacturers and successfully defended against union organization campaign at a healthcare facility
- Minimized organizational risk during volatile employee separations
- Successfully defended employers in federal trials over claims of race and ethnicity-based discrimination in hiring decisions
- Conducted multiple successful union contract negotiations across various industries from school districts to manufacturers to healthcare institutions
- Worked closely with an employer through its employees' decertification of its long-time union
- Performed comprehensive reviews of employment policies for several entities
- Conducted employee engagement surveys for employers in various industries
Honors & Ratings
- Firm's Professional Advisor Symposium, 2019
- Firm's Workplace Law Forum, 2013, 2015, 2017-2019
- Firm's Municipal Law Symposium, 2019
- Human Resources Section of the PA/NJ Rural Electric Cooperatives, biannual meeting, most recently in September 2019
- Local Development Districts of Pennsylvania
- Employee and supervisor training on employment-related topics, including medical marijuana, sexual harassment, and preventing and handling EEO claims
Community & Professional Service
- Erie Zoological Society, Volunteer Solicitor
- United Way of Erie County, Volunteer Solicitor
- Assistant General Counsel, Employment