David M. Mosier
Having joined Knox Law in 1981, Dave’s practice includes business and tax transactions with significant experience in insurance agency and broker purchases and sales. His work with agency owners has enabled him to understand the nuances of insurance agency transactions and his practical, reasoned approach has effectively guided clients as the market has evolved from local and regional activity to private equity funded acquirers with a national focus.
Dave also has significant experience in life and death planning for retirement benefits, distributions and beneficiary designations. He designs and drafts employee pension and welfare benefit plans and represents plan sponsors, trustees and administrators.
He is the firm’s liaison to Lawyers Associated Worldwide (LAW), a global association of 100 independent law firms representing a global resource of more than 4,000 lawyers in more than 50 countries around the world.
- Cleveland State University, J.D.; cum laude; Cleveland Marshall Law Review, Member
- John Carroll University, B.S.; cum laude
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Tax Court
- Although insurance agency transactions slowed in the second quarter of 2020, the purchase and sale activity rebounded in the second half with 756 reported transactions in 2020 [as compared to 649 transactions reported in 2019]. Over the course of 2020, our work included nine (9) insurance agency purchase and sale transactions ranging from $4.5 million to sale transactions with closing, equity and earn-out values in excess of $35 million.
- The purchase and sale activity is proceeding without abatement in 2021. In January 2021 our work includes representation involving two agency sales transactions.
- Typical purchase consideration consists of cash at closing, contingent earn-out payments and purchaser equity.
Retirement and Welfare Benefits Activity
- Restated the Knox Law IRS Pre-Approved Volume Submitter Defined Contribution Plan for compliance with the Cycle 3 restatement requirements
- Restated the Knox Law IRS Pre-Approved Volume Submitter Defined Benefit Plan, which now includes the cash balance plan option, for compliance with the Pension Protection Act
- Each LAW member is proficient in English so you can smoothly and easily conduct business around the world.
- One phone call connects you to a global network.
- The LAW network is a resource for finding a business prospect, consummating an international transaction, negotiating licensing arrangements or solving import/export problems.
- LAW allows you to you find local resources, such as accountants, architects, or engineers.
Community and Professional Service
- Presque Isle Rotary Club, Member; Past President and Board of Directors
- Erie County Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Estate Planning Council of Erie
- Lawyers Associated Worldwide, Firm Liaison
- Firm's Annual Professional Advisor Symposium, October 2014-2016; 2018
- Northwest's Employee Benefits Management Lunch & Learn, Erie and Cranberry Township, September 2016
- HVA Senior Living Alliance Long-Term Care Seminar, May 2014: Affordable Care Act Refresher and Update
Articles and Publications
- 2021 Agent and Broker Mergers and Acquisitions
- New Single Life and Uniform Life Tables and RMDs
- SECURE Act of 2019: Changes Effective January 1, 2020
- 2021 Dollar Limitations on Benefits and Contributions
- Cybertheft and Retirement Plan Assets
- Agent and Broker Mergers and Acquisitions
- IRS Expands Self-Correction Program
- Pennsylvania Breach of Personal Information Notification Obligations
- The Affordable Care Act: The Gift that Keeps on Giving
- ACA: Post King v. Burwell Landscape
- SCOTUS Opinion on King v. Burwell
- FAQ’s On Reporting Employer-Provided Health Insurance Offer and Coverage
- SBA Proposes Amendments to Sole Source Authority for Women-Owned Small Businesses
- After Tax Season: What To Do If You Receive a Letter from the IRS
- Reporting Employer-Provided Health Insurance Offer and Coverage
- Affordable Care Act Final Regulations Part IV: Non-Calendar Year Plans
- Affordable Care Act Final Regulations Part III: Monthly Measurement of Full-Time Employees
- Affordable Care Act Final Regulations: Part I Overview
- The Affordable Care Act and Self-Insurance for Small Employers
- Attorney Collaboration and Why It Matters To You the Client
- Marcellus and Retirement Planning Opportunities