Hon. Andrew F. Szefi (ret.)
Honorable Andrew F. Szefi focuses his practice on alternative dispute resolution, including mediation, arbitration, and early neutral evaluation in both federal and state courts. He brings a fresh and current perspective to the dispute resolution process, having served as a judge in the Court of Common Pleas of Allegheny County from July 2022 through December 2023. He was assigned to the Civil Division where he served as the Class Action Judge, in the Commerce and Complex Litigation Center, Housing Court, and the general trial docket. In addition, Judge Szefi conciliated hundreds of civil cases and presided over jury and non-jury trials.
Prior to his time on the bench, Judge Szefi served as Allegheny County Solicitor for 10 years, acting as the County's Chief Legal Officer and Director of the Legal Department. He started his legal career in private practice in Pittsburgh, focusing on litigation and governmental practice matters, as well as land use and real estate.
- University of Pittsburgh School of Law, J.D.; Murray S. Love Moot Court Competition Winner, 1999; Legal Writing Teaching Assistant
- University of Richmond, B.A.; University Scholars Program
- All state courts in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
Community and Professional Service
- Pennsylvania Election Law Advisory Board, Former Member
- Edgewood Borough, Former Councilman; Former Chair, Public Safety and Public Works Committees; Former Member, Planning Commission
- Allegheny County Bar Association, Nominating Committee; Alternative Dispute Resolution Committee; Civil Litigation Section