Thomas C. Hoffman, II has represented thousands of businesses and high net worth individuals during his career as a lawyer and CPA. He has helped plan hundreds of business successions for a diverse group of clients, including entrepreneurs engaged in manufacturing, oil & gas, timber, publishing and other industries in more than 15 states. He began his career as a CPA with Ernst & Young in Pittsburgh from 1990 to 1993.
Mr. Hoffman often uses atypical approaches seeking the best possible solution for clients’ complex ambitions and circumstances. He works closely as a team with clients’ accountants, bankers, insurance agents and wealth management advisors, aspiring to provide high quality, seamless client care. He also taps into his own working group of key strategic legal and tax advisors, including former IRS agents who bring an even broader base of knowledge and experience to bear on clients’ more unusual matters.
Mr. Hoffman concentrates his practice on closely held business planning, business succession planning, implementation of sophisticated estate and trust planning, administration of complex estates and trusts, and the tax consequences of these matters.
In business successions, Mr. Hoffman knows how to ask tough, devil’s advocate questions on whether a successor to the business will have the right skills to replace the seller’s abilities and maintain a profitable business. He also knows how to communicate difficult or thorny issues in clear, plain English. When needed, he has represented clients before the IRS in federal income, estate and gift tax cases.
Mr. Hoffman is the originator of the Knox Law Institute®, which provides valuable, relevant and practical education on legal matters to businesses, governmental entities, nonprofit organizations, insurance companies, financial institutions, individuals and families, as well as professional advisors. He is a major contributor for topics including business succession planning, estate planning, tax law, asset protection, shale energy planning, trusts, charitable giving and more.
Honors & Ratings
Speaking Engagements & Publications
- Knox Law Institute®
- Firm's Annual Professional Advisor Symposium, 2013-2017
- Penn State Smeal College of Business, Business Succession Seminar, April 2017
- Penn State Center for Private Forests/Ag Sciences Private Forest Landowner Conference, Altoona, PA, March 2015 and 2017
- “Landowners, Legacies and Legalities,” first published in Pennsylvania Forests, the quarterly magazine of the Pennsylvania Forestry Association (Volume 105, Number 3; Fall 2014)
- Foundation for Sustainable Forests Loving the Land Conference, May 2015 & 2016
- Clarion Forest Landowner Conference, Clarion, PA, February 2016
- PA DCNR Bureau of Forestry Winter Meeting, State College, PA, January 2016
- Business Succession Seminar, Erie Regional Chamber & Growth Partnership, December 2015
- Community Foundation of Greene County (PA) Shale Energy & Forest Legacy Estate Planning Seminar, September 2015
- Financial Planning Association of Pittsburgh (FPA) Estate Planning Conference, September 2015
- North Central PA Landowners Association Seminars, September and October 2014; September 2015
- Fairbanks (Alaska) Estate Planning Council, May 2015
- Penn State Behrend Financial Planning Seminar for Employees and Retirees, January 2015
- Seminar to regional resale store owners, November 2014
- LifeWorks Erie Estate Planning Lecture Series, September 2014
- Penn State Behrend Financial Planning Seminar for Alumni, September 2014
- PA Bar Institute Solo & Small Firm Conference, July 2014
- Clarion Hospital Foundation, June 2014
- Penn State Extension Professional Forester Workshop, May 2014
- Northwestern PA Forest Landowner’s Conference, February 2014
- Various seminars in Alaska
- Frequently speaks about estate planning and business succession issues for various organizations including the Pennsylvania Bar Institute, PICPA, Northwest Industrial Resource Center, The Community Foundation of Western PA and Eastern OH, Foundation for Sustainable Forests, and other groups and charitable organizations
Community & Professional Service
- Penn State University, Planned Giving Advisory Council, Chair
- Penn State Erie, The Behrend College, Council of Fellows Member
- The Foundation for Sustainable Forests, Board Member, Secretary
- Community Foundation of Western PA and Eastern OH, Planned Giving Advisor
- Erie Regional Chamber and Growth Partnership, Past Board Member and Past Executive Committee Member
- Estate Planning Council of Erie, Past President
- Estate Planning & Administration Group, Practice Group Leader